Friday, December 8, 2006

Brown Ales and corresponding rant

So I think alot about beer. As soon as I moved to Boulder I was amazed at the amount of micro breweries who brew solid brown ales. I love the german influence in Wisconsin, but a consequence of this heritage is the beer they chose to brew. In Wisconsin, most micro breweries have a great selection of Lagers, Pils as well as Stouts and Porters. But the English Ales just flow down so much better. The Great Dane and Great Lakes Breweries brew a Scotch Ale, but I like the thick English brews the best. So begins the Ode to Brown Ales. www.lefthandbrewing.com The Deep Cover Brown Ale from Left Hand Brewing in Longmont is damn good. I don't know enough about beer to describe why it fits my tastes, but if you're in Colorado I'd recommend a visit to the brewery or the purchase of a six at a liquor store. (For you Wisconsinites, you can buy beer till midnight in CO, so if you get in late, now worries. However you're SOL on Sunday)

Being that it is Friday, I hope you'll all be tossing a few back in celebration of life.

Eric: Just as you learned to appreciate coffee while in Italy, the English pub scene provides a perfect outlet to deepen your appreciation for beer. I urge you to drop your books and take advantage.

2 comments:

Greg said...

Dude: You gotta throw a shout out to the crappiest beer in all of England: Newcastle Brown Ale. Not as snooty as Sam Smith's but solid, chocolaty and drinkable in block of six packs. Yum.

Thanks for the link!

Unknown said...

beav -

you should bump up the blog entries to better capture my attention early on in the process.

If I haven't mentioned it, the dane changed it's buns for the worse. i'm boycotting it until they change back, except i'll still drink there. i probably shouldn't, just to prove my point, but it's hard to stay away. while dotty's does not have the "local" flavor, it's burgers are much much better.

also, i will use this space to advance my special relativity of beer theory: the perceived quality of fermented malt beverage is inverse to the price and distance from the source of its origin. for example, there is a crappy attempt at a hofbrauhaus in milwaukee. it is a weak facsimile of the original, and yet, i will likely return: it has on tap a full range of HB beers, quite rare in SE wisconsin.

a unified theory relating this and the ale/lager/stout debate may follow.